OUTREACH & EVANGELIZATION
The Outreach & Evangelization Committee works to encourage a deeper relationship with God, and create evangelization opportunities to share the Gospel, to encourage faith, family and community within the parish and the larger Gary (Miller) and Northwest Indiana community.
Our Outreach & Evangelization Committee seeks to re-energize those who currently participate in our faith and to welcome back those who have drifted away. They are the heartbeat of many of the social activities of the parish. Activities include annual door-to-door evangelization week, fund-raising events, parish activities and activities with the local Gary (Miller) community.
Members of the committee have a variety of ways that they can participate in all or some of the planning and implementation of fundraising and other church activities. Following are some of the ways members can assist:
- Bring your ideas!
- Assist with designing fliers and brochures
- Assist with the promotion of events
- Volunteer to assist with setting up and cleaning up after fundraising activities
- Volunteer to help during fundraising activities and community activities
- Bake! Bakers are always needed for bake sales run during the Fish Fry, Spaghetti Dinner, and Christmas Bazaar events.
- Assist with maintaining SML’s presence in social media
Annually, members of the Evangelization and Outreach team spend several evenings engaging with Gary (Miller) residents by going door-to-door. Participants have spoken of how uplifting and enjoyable it is to learn more about their neighbors and to spread the welcoming spirit of St. Mary’s parish.
Members of the Evangelization and Outreach Committee also participate in secular community events to increase public -awareness of St. Mary of the Lake. They include Fest in the First, Miller Clean up Days, and activities through Miller spotlight.
Hours of Commitment:
- 2 hour meetings monthly, usually the 2nd or 3rd Wednesday of the month starting at 6:30 pm in Lessard Hall
- Additional volunteering time needed for the events at St. Mary’s or within the community
- Door-to-door evangelization, 3 to 4 hours per event.
Please contact: Josie Werhowatz Nieman – email@example.com (219-689-6271)
Please contact: Jim/ Adina Wiseman (219-712-1000)