As an expression of Catholic social teachings, the mission of St. Mary of the Lake’s Food Pantry is to serve the needy families and individuals of our community by providing supplemental food.
The only requirement for receiving food from our Food Pantry is a photo ID, identifying them as a Lake County resident. Our Food Pantry feeds the working poor, elderly, sick, disabled, and those who have just hit a rough patch.
Our Food Pantry distributes groceries / supplies to our community from Lessard Hall (next to the Church) on the 3rd Monday of each month from 9:00 AM to 1 PM.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer for our Food Pantry, volunteer activities may include
- Encouraging local businesses, schools, and organizations to donate money or sponsor a canned food drive.
- Assisting with the transport and loading / unloading of canned goods and other food supplies (may require a little heavy lifting!)
- Sorting and stocking canned goods in the pantry
- Setting up the tables before the monthly food distribution
- Preparing bags of food in advance of the opening of the pantry as well as during pantry hours
- Check in participants in on Food Pantry day
- Assisting participant families with bagging food and getting it to their vehicles
- Sweeping and breaking down tables / chairs after Food Pantry day
HOURS OF COMMITMENT:
The hours of commitment will vary depending on your level of involvement
- on the 2nd Friday of each month, in advance of the 3rd Monday, help is needed to unload food from the truck, stocking shelves, preparing food bags and setting up for the event. (2 to 3 hours monthly)
- On the 3rd Monday and from 9 AM to 1 PM, put together bags of groceries, monitor tables, and help clients to their cars (4 hours monthly)
- Other additional outreach and fundraising as may be needed
Please contact Carole Barnes: email@example.com (219-588-4389)
DONATIONS to the FOOD PANTRY:
- Monetary donations to the Food Pantry can be made through the link to “Online Giving”
- Food donations can be made by dropping non-perishable food items at the Church prior to Mass or by calling the Parish Office and arranging for a drop off.