The Parish Council is the visioning and coordinating ministry of St. Mary of the Lake Parish. It meets with our Pastor one evening a month, to review our finances, the activities of the other parish ministries, and oversee the implementation of our goals for parish life and our roles as examples of Christ’s love for each other and for the larger Gary (Miller) and Northwest Indiana community.
A Pastoral Council Member is a person who:
- Practices their faith and is a good example to the community
- Is willing to pray personally and with others
- Offers his or her gifts for the good of the parish and not for power
- Is a good listener and can be an agent of change
- Is approachable and able to empower others
- Invites the gifts of all the parishioners for the good of the parish
- Can collaborate with the pastor, other council and committee members and parishioners
Hours of Commitment:
- 2 hr monthly meetings, usually the 3rd Monday of the month starting at 6:30 pm in the Pauline room in the Church
- Additional volunteer hours as needed for events at St. Mary’s or within the community
Every Lenten season, we ask volunteers to learn more about the Pastoral Council. There will be time for discernment and a process to assist or support you in your decision to become a council member, leading up to the selection of up to twelve (12) persons to serve on the Pastoral Council for three (3) years with an option to renew for a second term of three (3) years.
When the Parish Council nomination process opens, forms for nominating yourself or someone else (with their consent) will be available at the entrance to the Church or from the parish office.
If you have any questions regarding the Parish Council at St. Mary’s, we encourage you to speak to the current members: John Lenti (chair), Kevin Barker, Therese Carey, Edna Hunter, Jane Wisch, Linda Balogh, Pat Kelly, Karen Simon, or Jim Wiseman.
Contact John Lenti – 219-938-1373